Monday, February 1, 2016

Catch up

Dear Family,

This week was great, as was the last one.  I will try and do some catch up as I didnt write last week... Sorry father. 

Last week we were doing splits in Antsirabe.  I was able to work with many elders in the zone.  The work of the Lord is really progressing in the area of Antsirabe as I was introduced to many people who are ready for the gospel of Jesus Christ.  It was so cool to be apart of a lesson or six where the investigator asks about the lesson or scripture that we share and then they apply what they have just learned to their lives.  One cool/sad story that happened while I was on splits. 

I was working with Elder Koplin (The zone leader who is in Pres. Hathaway's stake) in his area of Ambohimena.  We had tracted most of the day and had got into a couple houses, but nothing that looked too promising.  It was getting late, like eight o'clock, but he said that he had someone in mind that we could visit.  We walked down the smallest alley way that was full of mud and small children.  The small path led to wooden stairs that were not suitable for a couple of american twenty year olds.  Elder Koplin "odio-ed" and a woman came to the door.  Elder Koplin asked if her husband was home.  He was and we walked in.  I didnt know who these people were, but I soon came to know of their story.

This family (Mother and Father with 4 children) had been taught a couple months back and had received a baptismal date.  They were very excited.  For some reason, the stars did not align and the missionaries were forced to move the baptism back, and then again, and then for a third time.  These people had gotten discouraged.  They had stopped coming to church and the husband had vanished.  He claimed that he had been gone to Toliara working... he claimed that he had gotten home that day and he also claimed to be leaving again the next day to go back.  Elder Koplin was shocked.  He didnt know the family that well since he was relatively new to the area.  The one thing that he did know was that this family needed the restored gospel in their lives.  He pleaded and read scriptures and begged this family to re consider.  He asked them questions that made them think about the feelings they felt when they were coming to church and when they were reading the Book of Mormon.  He promised them blessings and comfort if they would just come back.  The only thing that he didnt do was get down on his hands and knees... so I did it.  I was feeling the anguish that Elder Koplin had.  So, I invited the family to get down on their knees and I asked the mother to offer a blessing to know if what they had already learned was true.  It was a beautiful prayer.  But it didnt help.  We continued to preach and did our very best to create an environment where the spirit could testify. Before the lesson ended, the father said, "ok, we still want this.  We want to learn, but when my work is done, that is when we can do this."  Elder Koplin and I lifted our heads up.  Then he started to count his with his fingers.  "In June I will be done". 

A couple of things that I learned that night.  The missionaries really do want the best for people.  They want to help.  They want to give.  They want to bring people to Christ.  I also learned that people have their own agency.  Elder Koplin did everything in his will power to help these people, but he respected their wishes and with a smile said that we would be waiting for them at church.  I desire to be more like Elder Koplin.  He has such a large heart.  I know that the gospel that we spread is true.  It makes me so happy. 

In other news... not much happened.  We had a world wide missionary broadcast.  Way awesome.  We brought the zone leaders from reunion over to watch it with us so we have had them with us this week.  We had some good splits here in Tana and we are still going.  President Foote's daughter also had her first child.  Yayy! 

Thank you for all that you do.  I love you with all my heart.  I love being a missionary!

All My Love

Elder Herrin

No comments:

Post a Comment