Monday, May 26, 2014

A Week of Tests

Dear Family,

So this week has been probably the most challenging week for me.  Not because of the language, or the people, because those things are coming along, but with the life!  This week we had maybe two days with electricity, still no hot water, and traveling is just... So. On tuesday, we lost power... that was the start.  We also had our zone leaders coming down from Antsirabe to do a couple of bap interviews.  That was really cool to have them down here, however, that meant splits... So I went with Elder Eppic and had to lead the way (so to speak) because he didnt know the area.  We went to our first time and he wasnt home, then the next time was the bap interview and all I did was sit outside and play with kids!  I didnt know what they were saying, but I just nodded and through bricks through a "hoop" and thats how they played basketball... Anyways, Elder Eppic is leaving to go home today actually, so after that time, he wanted to go look at souvenirs so we did that for a while!  Anyways, they also had news about "Jesus"  They said that he got released but that he had done more things.  So he got on the radio and testified that he was Jesus, he showed people his journal where he wrote that he was the one and only and which also said (In red ink) that his second coming will be on June 18... He is going way insane.  We found out that this has been happening for a long time, he has like spazz atacks and all this wierd stuff.  When the second coming happens, ill let you know what happens!  Wednesday we still didnt have power, and it was the longest day yet!! So we went to the church just before one to teach english just like every week.  Elder Palmer got a call and said that there was a woman from south africa here to look for a new place to pray.  We have been looking for a while and we had a couple places for her to look.  We went to the first one and it was two nice buildings and it was pretty much all fixed but he wasnt going to rent... and the south african woman said oh no cant do that!  Plus it was way far away from a lot of the members so we left to look at another place.  We waited like 35 minutes for the guy who owned it to get here.  He said that he wasnt going to rent either.  The south african woman (who didnt speak gasy mind you) kept having Elder Palmer ask why.  She was trying to show him that he would make more money if he rented and it was just hard because she didnt understand the way that the people work here... So we went to another place.  This was just land that was like on the slope of a hill and the people who owned it would let us go down and look at the land... they said just look from where you are.  The south african woman really liked that!! hahaha, she just didnt understand the fomba gas!  Oh man, by now its like 4:00 and we have more times to teach and we have been walking around in the sun which means sunburn and oh it was just a longg day!  Thursday we made someone come fix our electrcity in the morning!  Oh it was nice when we had it!  Then we had some times which went well.  Then each Thursday we give a Votsam Panay or Spiritual Thought to the Branch President. It went really well, and then after she usually gives us tea and bread which are really good!  But this week it was mushy corn stuff with fish!  But dont worry, the fish was really cooked, and seasoned and I actually didnt mind it!  I was in bed at like 9:10 that night which was beautiful!  Friday, we got up and I was getting ready you know, the usual!  Doing my hair when the power went out... So we are boiling water this week to use to shave our faces becuase of the no hot water, and are using candles to see and write becuase of the no electricity!  Friday was pretty normal except that it like rained all day!  Saturday was kind of the same, no electricity and really cold and gloomy!  And yes cold is cold! I never thought I would be cold here, but I am in like one of three placed in Mada that actually gets cold!  We woke up this morning and it was 59 degress in our room!! Oh, on Saturday, we did choir... Elder Palmer loves music so he is putting together some songs, A childs prayer and did you think to pray.  Sunday was rough... we got up at 5:30 to go up to Anjoma to pray.  We got to the bus at 6:30 and what time do you think we left... try 10:00... church started at 9.  We got there at 11, just in time to teach our two investigators up there about the Plan of Salvation.  President Filber gave us milk... eww. Then we waited another two hours to get back.  The bus ride home was so much joy!  There was a lady who threw up LITERALLY the whole way home, like gagging and throwing up the whole way home!  We found out it was because of alcohol... go figure.  That day was long because we had a time at 7 and that went till 8.  Then we were trying to talk to our land lord about our power and ask if she could charge our phone becuase we couldnt and just all this stuff so we didnt get home till 9, then dinner, and I got in bed about 10:25, but elder palmer wanted to stay up to hear about transfers.  So I guess he was up till 11:30 to hear where people were going... even though he knew he was going no where.  Today the people are coming to "fix" the electricity.  I am doing my best to keep a good attitude and work with elder palmer.  So elder palmer, great dude! Really he is awesome and teaching me so much!  But he just doesnt get me, for example, he was talking about how much he enjoyed the feeling of the piano, so then he asked what I liked, so I responded with "I love when you are playing a sport and you do something to make the other team look silly and you score on them"  he said that Jesus wouldnt want us to do that... thats how he responded.... LIKE REALLY!! Uhh I just cant talk about sports with him or I will get mad cause he was like, I just dont like competition.  I was like oh me neither, why do we have competition... Oh my gosh I had to bite my tongue, of course I didnt say that!  Anyways, I am grateful for him, for his knowledge of the gospel and his willingness to teach me.  I love being a missionary!

No comments:

Post a Comment