Monday, March 23, 2015

J-I-R-I-M-A

Dear Family,

What a wonderful week it has been here in Madagascar, I hope that you had just as good of a week as I did.  I know that we are continually watched over by our loving Heavenly Father who wants nothing but the best for us.  I love testifying about that to the people that I teach.  I sure hope that you are all doing well, happy and healthy! 

This week started off a little different than most weeks do.  We got a call from our District President telling us that Jirima (the water and power company for all of Madagascar) has not recieved our payment for our houses in Tamatave for the last 5 months, and if they did not get the money, they were going to take our counter.  Yaa we immediately got to work on that.  On Tuesday, we started at about 9 in the morning and didnt stop working with Jirima until about 4 in the afternoon.  It kinda messed up our whole schedule that day with teaching.  The next day we had a meeting with the head person at Jirima and we had to apologize and kind of brown nose (somethinig I would consider myself quite good at) the lady as best we could. It worked.  They didnt cut our power and the people who work for the church are good at what they do, so the payment got thier as quick as it possibly could have.  So, this was all happening and we had elders leaving and coming to Tamatave... I dont know if you remember Elder Razafimandimby, but he is in my house again.  He is elder stringfellow's comp.  I was really excited to see him and show him that I am not that bad at malagasy anymore.  He has brought a whole new different atmosphere to the house.  Hope things continue to go well with him.  The rest of the week flew by because of how hard we worked.  We (my comp) was determined to make up for lost time that we lost because of Jirama, so we were working non stop all day everyday.  We had some great times.  And, great contacts. 

On Saturday night, we were doing a little bit of contacting before our last lesson when we knocked on a door and a woman told us to come in.  We walked into the "yard" and told the lady that if there wasnt a man home, we could not really be there.  She tried to tell us that her son was of age... but he wasnt home.  Thats when we realized that her child, who was sitting on her lap, was not like most children.  She was bald and very skinny (which is normal for malagasy young children) and she was trying to talk, but all that came out was screams.  She was autistic.  My companion, who has a step sister with downs syndrome, talked to the woman about his experience with his sister.  We set up an appointment with her last night (sunday).  We showed up to the house, and there was Mariette (mom), Brenda (daughter), and Elvin (son) who is of age!  We had a a wonderful conversation with them for about twenty minutes just about the missionary purpose and how two white people could be so good at a malagasy language.  Then we shared a small spiritual thought about trusting in God and Jesus to help us to recieve our glory in eternal life.  We were touched by the spirit of God that night. 

I am so grateful to be doing this work.  I know its true.  I hope you all have a wonderful week.  SMILE!

All my Love

Elder Herrin

No comments:

Post a Comment