Monday, August 4, 2014

Holy Tracting!

Dear Family,

What a wonderful week I have had working here in Ambohimangakely!  On Tuesday we had a couple of appointments with some contacts that we had recieved the week earlier.  How funny that all of them (3) dogged us and either werent home or "couldnt learn".  So that day we tracted for 6 and a half hours!!  We got a total of like 11 contacts and it was just a really good feeling to have worked so hard that day and to have it pay off.  Wednesday was crazy too, we were asked by our branch to practice soccer with them because they want to be ready for their match that is coming up this week.  So we went for like two hours in street clothes, and then quickly changed in the church and went out to work.  We taught a couple of times but for some reason, many of our times fell through.  Very frustrating.  Thursday was a new experience for me as well.  We had district meeting in the morning.  In Ambositra we never had meetings with anyone because we were so far away from people.  Now in my district, it is my companion and I and then 4 sisters... One is American, one is from Portugal, one is a Malagasy, and the other is Tahitian.  They are fun and I still dont really know them but know that I will be working with them longer.  After the district meeting we went to lunch with them and then went out to work.  So since we have basically dropped our whole schedule, we are pretty much tracting every day because we need people to teach.  And oh boy is it an experience to knock on someones door in Madagascar.  We have had both good and bad and funny experiences.  Some people will come out and let us share our message with them and then say, "I already have a faith, I dont have time for yours"  others just look at us from a window above and shake their heads... thats the best.  One guy, while I was in the middle of sharing my little intro, just walked inside without saying a word...Ok, I think I can take that SMALL hint.  One lady, while we were walking home, kind of threw herself at me and started to grab for some areas that we not free for grabbing, so I ran from her.  Also while tracting we found ourself in an area by a church where the people who attend this church are given a house the exact same as all the other members.  But they must work for the church everyday and do everything that is asked of them.  While I was writing that I kind of thought it sounded like our church, but its way different because we have agency to make our own choices.  Yep, good times.  On Saturday we had two baptisms as well!  However, the reason we had the baptisms this week and not last was because the wife would not get baptized in cold water... so we went to another church (still LDS) that supposedly had hot water in the font.  When we got there we tested the water and oh boy was it so not warm... When it came time to baptize her (which I had the wonderful opportunity to do) she started to walk in the water and she kind of gasped and not yelled but said out loud "ANDRIAMANITRO" which is God in Malagasy... so ya she basically used the Lords name in vane while about to be baptized... it was great.  When I put her under the water, she came up freaking out.  I had to hold her still because she was like having a spasm attack and I wasnt sure what to do, but she, after about 10 sec, gained control.  Sunday was another odd day.  Church was really nice, I was fasting, I was feeling the spirit, and I was ready for the schedule that we had.  We had like 6 lessons to teach that day.  Our first one dropped because they were leaving town for the day... We got our next time and then my companion and I tried 8 houses that we could teach and none of them could! Are you serious.  It was about 3:30 and our next time was at 5.  So we just decided to go early... This time was a contact that we got earlier in the week and it was like 3 different families that lived together so it was a lot of people and they seemed really interested so we showed up and half of the adults were drunk, like wayyyy drunk.  Are you serious... Oh, I was not just going to leave after the day that we had already had so I made them listen to me pray, and then I started to preach, I really thought I was going to make this work.  But if any of you have tried to teach a couple of drunk women oh man I couldnt get a word out without one of the woman hitting the other, yelling something, laughing out loud... so we asked if we could pray and we left.  Our last time worked out well though.  We got to teach about God, Jesus Christ and the role they play in our lives and how they bless our families.  So that was kinda my week summed up, the short version.  Just some quick side notes, I cut my own hair this week for the first time ever... Yes, I did.  Did I know what I was doing, NO.  Does it look good, NO.  But hey, who really cares, I am in Madagascar.  My comp, who does his hair just laughed at me the whole time I tried to do it.  I also continue to play soccer and beat the club team here in Madagascar.  And one last thing, I finally got a bible in Malagasy... so useful!  Hahaha.  I love you all so much and know that the work I am doing is true. 

All my Love

Elder Herrin

No comments:

Post a Comment