Monday, November 24, 2014

Ups and Downs and Fort D!

Dear Family,

How are we all doing this week?  Doesnt it seem like it was a long week since the last time we talked?  I hope you all know that I love you very much and that you are on my mind often... when I am not trying to think about the 30 investigators that we have, the lesson to share with them, or how many packages of seddaap to buy... other than that you are always on my mind!  This week was a crazy one here in Fort Dauphin!  The week started off great!  Tuesday and Wednesday we taught like a total of 17 lessons and just really felt the wonderful spirit here in Fort D!  People here are so so kind, always inviting us in, and it seems like they are more prepared by our Heavenly Father to hear and accept our message.  For example, this week it was about 7 o clock and we were headed to our second to last time for the day.  We were approached by a young man who eargently stated something in Malagasy.  I thought that I heard him correctly so I smiled and replied "thats great!"  The conversation was pretty quick, we talked about a time to come by his house and teach him, said goodbye and he left.  I quickly said to my comp, "Thats so cool that he wants to learn!!!"  My comp said, "He said that he wants to be baptized in our church..." DUDE!!! Can I get an AMEN! Thats a little apostate, but it was so cool.  The next couple days that followed were the exact opposite of Tuesday and Wednesday... they were horrible! We only taught like 3 or 4 times and had 8 people drop us!  However, with that all being said, we had some crazy moments contacting people!  We talked to a couple of younger men (in thier early 20's) who introduced themselves in english.  Talk about catching a missionary off guard.  One of them started with this, "I believe that you have a message to share with me!"  Cant get any more easy than that right?  I know it may seem like its easy, I promise the missionary work is still really hard.  That man's wife wanted NOTHING to do with us when we entered the mans house.  She told us, "maybe you can come by... next week"  Yaaa, so we probably wont be going by!  We also had one of the funniest times on Friday!  We were headed to a new investigators house who has already been to church twice!  A father, his wife, and two kids!  We found thier kids before we got to the house so we followed them to the house and when we got there they told us to come in!  Elder Lambert was ahead of me so he kind of peaked his head in to make sure things were all good... they werent!  Lets just say its been REALLY hot here and the people do all they can to cool off!  My companion saw more than he wanted to!  They told us to come in and we started to teach.  They are NOT the smartest people in the world so we were just teaching about Josepth Smith again and the right way to pray! After the segment with Joseph Smith we asked, "so who is Josheph Smith?" And the father took a second to really get this answer right... "Jesus Christ" he replied... The effort it took to hold back laughter was intensive!  We quickly helped them respond to that question with prophet!  Then we moved on to prayer and when we finished the lesson we asked the man to pray.  " Dear Jesus Christ.... in the name of the Father, Amen."  Right as he started I opened my eyes to see my companions head droop between his knees into the fetal position.  So it wasnt that bad, but his head droped a mile!  We kindly thanked the man for the prayer and left!  Oh, I love being a missionary! The week ended somewhat well.  Sunday we had 10 investigators at church and we got to watch a conference with Africa.  We taught some really good lessons and helped our investigators really understand the restoration.  If they truly understand that, they understand that all other churches are... well wrong!  Ohh, then there is today.  So today, guess what we did?! WRONG!  We went crocadile hunting, no joke!  We walked, about 10 kilometers, to a far away lake type swamp thing!  We rolled our pants up and walked thigh deep in swamp where we set up  three different traps!  I was like shakin in my boots the whole time we were standing in the water, watching our investigator set up the trap.  So, im sure youre wondering if we caught anything, or what happened... so here it is.  We set up the trap, and the member said, "ok, lets go home!, Tomorrow well see if we get anything?" Yaa not what I had in mind either, but it was still cool, and hopefully tomorrow we will get something!  The rest of the day went like this: We ate rice, bought a live turkey, and are now emailing home.  Thanksgiving is coming up so we are going to murder a turkey and cook it for Thanksgiving!  (Pictures, and maybe video next week?) As the holidays start to come in, man do I miss you guys!  Like you have no idea!  Eat well.  I will be eating at 9:30 on Thursday and hopefully things go well.  But, eat well and love eachother.  Rhet and Maci, hit a brother up with some emails!  Ive been pretty dry lately!  I love you all so much, and would love some pictures of the wonderful fun and family this week!

Elder Herrin

No comments:

Post a Comment