Monday, December 8, 2014

Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

Dear Family,

How are you this early Christmas season!?  I hope that you are getting into the Christmas spirit and listening to ole Frank sing, maybe the little chipmunk Alvin?  Ohh I know that I have!  We have Christmas music with lights that we bought this week and the 6 inch tree that we found!  It looks so good with the two presents that I have underneath the tree!  This week was another fabulous week!  Not exactly the week that I had in mind, but when you look back, it was so wonderful!  We started off the week pretty well.  We went out and bought some Christmas lights and started the play of Christmas music!! I love it!  On Tuesday we had a Zone Conference.  How does that work you ask?  So we had to do a skype call with all of the outlying areas like Mahajanga, Toliar, Mauritius, and then President and the AP's.  Let me tell you how awkward it was.  We started the skype call in the very busy cyber when President says, "So this morning we will start by singing hymn number ... Joy to the World"... Ummm, are you serious?  All the other missionaries were in their church, so it was no big deal for them, but we were in a packed cyber... so we sang joy to the world as people just stared and laughed even.  So me and my comp say at one computer and he had the headset the whole time so I just sat there and watched the screen not knowing what was going on.  All of the sudden, my comp looks at me and says that Pres. is asking me a question... Oh man President Adams just grilled me with this deep doctrine question that I just tried to babble on about the topic and my Pres just kept responding with WHY? AHHHH, I dont know Pres... im sorry!  Hahahah, he finally accepted one of my answers and said, can someone help him out? Hahahah, we finished the meeting with yet ANOTHER song... and he asked me to lead it... uhhh yaa ill wave my hand in front of the moniter.  I got a laugh out of Pres as I waved my hand though, felt pretty good.  So we had a couple of our investigators this week give us some pretty big news!  Sadly, we wont have any baptisms on the 13... but, aza kivy!  Our best investigator told us that he has decided to hold off baptism.  We were shocked until he told us why.  His wife hasnt been able to attend church because she works at a catholic school and if she attends a different church, she loses her job.  Can you imagine?  So Emille, the father, told us he is going to wait for his wife.  He said that he wants to be married in the temple TOGETHER, and in order for that to happen, they need to be baptized TOGETHER.  Such a testimony builder for a young 19 year old kid!  I was so happy. Our other investigators are doing great also.  One drank alcohol... so he is still trying to get off that habit. Our others just need to be legally married... Just playing the waiting game with them!  So I just want to tell you about the strangest day that I had this week.  Like the wierdest on my mission thus far.  We had like 3 or 4 run ins with different gmas who just creeped us out.  One was laying in the sand by her house when she saw us.  She got up to her hands and knees and started to crawl toward us and scream at the top of her lungs in all the english and french that she knew and then malagasy by default.  She was trying to say give me money... but he chased us a good 100 yards... we saw a naked gma in the backseat of a taxi with a look of "ive been kidnapped" as she clung to the window. We had some drunks talk to us in French, and one time I responded in Spanish... The drunk responded as if he gathered and understood what I said. Then we had a time with this crazy dad.  First off he thought I was 31... thats a new one.  Then we asked him to read a scripture. It was Alma 40:11 and 12 about the spirits of all people go to heaven.  He like overly pronunciated every 3rd word and when he got to that third word he would look at us as if we were supposed to say "Halleluhah" But it was so hard not to laugh because his... yaa it was just hard.  We ended the week well, 20 investagators at church and a really good testimony meeting!  I am so grateful to be here right now.  Each and every day, something happens that just makes me so happy and feel the spirit that my testimony is strengthened!  I have no doubt in my mind that this church is true, that the gospel of Jesus Christ can bless our lives if we live it.  I love serving here and coming to know these people.  As the holidays roll around, a challenge you guys to do something to serve another.  I promise you will feel better about your Christmas. I love you all so much and cant wati to skype! 

Elder Herrin

No comments:

Post a Comment