Monday, April 20, 2015

Hit My Year Mark With a Bang (Pun intended)

Dear Family,

I, again, am so happy to share my thoughts and experiences with you this week.  I hope that I dont bore you, I know how boring a white guys experience in Madagascar can be (it cant) but I hope you find them entertaining.  I continue to pray for your health and safety as I know how important that is.  I love and miss you dearly. 

This week was very different than most others.  We had the most interesting of Mondays as we dealt with missionaries and issues.  Not so fun, but our night was awesome as we visited a less active family who is awesome!  They have a dog the size of a horse who likes missionaries... a lot.  Too much actually (in my opinion).  I will try and get a picture with me and "the horse" tonight as we have another scheduled appointment with them.  This week was also full of splits.  The District and Zone Leaders are supposed to be on splits during the entire transfer, but the leaders waited till the second to last week of the transfer to do them. 

So, Wednesday, I went on a split with Elder Stringfellow in the area Ankirihiry.  Way fun split.  Elder Stringfellow is a newer ish missionary, but his language skills are so good and he is such a great missionary.  We had a great soiree with one of his recent converts.  Soo fun.  The mother asked us if we could learn more about the atonement of Jesus Christ... Boy can we do that for you.  We may know a few things about that topic.  Then they fed us rice and beans, one of the best laoka(s) in madagascar.  Then we just chatted with them for a good 30 minutes after we ate.  Man, I love malagasy people, especially the ones that like me. 

One of the missionaries in my zone has been hit with a really bad... we dont know what to call it?  His legs have swolen up and he got a bunch of pimple looking things full of pus.  He wasnt able to work for the more part of the week, so me and my comp took turns staying home with him and the other would go out to work in our area and the other area.  Thursday was my year in country!!

Ohh was it a day to remember.  We had a district meeting that just felt wierd.  We talked about learning to love all no matter what thier background.  Then we went to eat at this restaurant called the green lizard.  I thought that it as common knowledge in Mada for the tuc drivers to know where that was. NOPE.  I didnt know how to get there and I was with a different elder at the time (the sick one) and so we spent probably 30 minutes trying to find it when it should have taken 5.  Yaa work wasnt that great either as we had more people drop us... The came the bang, as expressed in the title of this email. 

Elder Bowler and I were riding our bikes home from work.  It was about 8:15, pretty dark out and the wind was in my face.  Elder Bowler and I had started to ride side by side and have a nice conversation, but decided to go one by one so that cars could pass.  I know, pretty good idea.  I took the lead.  So, there we were, riding our bikes.  I am pretty sure that I have already talked about the bike drivers here in madagascar, but if I havent ill describe them again.  There are bike drivers that pull a little seat behind them so they can "taxi" people around.  They are called possy possy in Madagascar.   You do not pronounce the word the way it is spelled.  Anyway, back to the story.  Elder Herrin was riding his bike in the dark, followed by his companion, elder bowler.  There was a possy possy sitting on the side of the road about 2 football field lengths ahead of Elder Herrin.  As Elder Herrin SAW the possy possy, he moved to the left to pass him, or at least he thought that he moved to the left.  Instead he ran right into the possy possy, sending him flying over his handle bars and his bike to the middle of  the road.  Yaa... pretty emberassing, so I got up (un-bruised amazingly) and picked my bike up.  All of the malagasies that saw freaked out, but I got out of there before anyone could question me.  If my bike were rideable, I would have riden it home, but the front tire had the shape of a taco shell, so I carried my bike home the last mile.  Elder Bowler offered to carry and share the load, but I told him I wanted to carry my shame home.  Elder Herrin hasnt changed a bit, still making really dumb mistakes.  My jounal entry for that day was, "This was the worst year in country day ever!" hahah. 

The work continue to go. We are working really hard to brink back all of those less actives and build up our branch before we baptize more investigators.  I love serving here in Tamatave and helping the work of salvation.  I love you all so much.  SMILE!

All my love

Elder Herrin


This is a small child that was playing in the street one night.

This would be my bike before I went to get it fixed the next day.


No comments:

Post a Comment