Thursday, April 9, 2015

A Humbling Week

Dear Family,

This week has been so great.  I hope that you were all able to remember the resurrection of Jesus Christ this Easter Weekend and enjoy the joys that He has brought to our lives.  I know that through Christ we can "become new creatures" (2 Cor. 5:17)  I just hope you are all happy!

So this week was kind of a whirlwind of everything in one.  We had the most amazing leadership conference with Pres. Adams this last Tuesday in Tana.  It was so great to be counseled by such an amazing man, who knows like everything!! It was also nice to be in a room with a bunch of amazing Elders who are unfortunately leaving for home in the next month to 4 months.  So that was great.  We spent all of Wednesday traveling back to Tamatave (8-9 hour bus ride) and then just slept the rest of that day.  We worked the rest of the week.  It was a really good week.  We got to teach some great lessons. 

We have been teaching this young 28 year old kid named Simon.  He has been a member for some time (almost 10 years) but about 6 years ago went in active when he got married.  We started teaching him about 2 months ago.  Our lessons go great, and he testifies to us about his knowledge of the truthfulness of the gospel.  We just had not gotten him to come to church.  He said every lesson that he would come and then he would bail on Sunday.  We asked him this week if we could come pick him up and go together.  That meant that we had to be at his house at 7 in the morning.  I kind of regretted offering to do that on the way there, but those feelings went away when we rode up on our bikes to his house, and we saw him standing there all "bezesta" with a huge smile on his face.  Tender mercies of the Lord, thats what Sis. Stokes would say at least! 

We are also teaching this man named Christof.  He is a married man who is a math teacher here in Madagascar.  Great man.  We were able to watch the short restoration video with him this last week and talk about the importance of the Book of Mormon.  It was a great lesson, and as we were getting ready to head our, he told us that there was food for us.  Oh boy, thats nothing that any missionary serving in Madagascar likes to hear.  First because you know that they dont have a whole lot to give.  The other is that, you never know what it could be... and this particular time it was something that every missionary dreads... "trondro maina"  that is dried out fish.  They literall just let the fish dry out in the sun, the cook it in some oil.  So we had that with a few beans and rice of course.  My companion, bless his heart, let me have the larger piece of fish.  Oh I scarfed it down and when I got home brushed my teeth for about an hour.  hahah.  It was really sweet of them, dont get me wrong.  I loved that they were thinking of the white guys. 

So, this Monday was awesome! I got to do service!  We have a new church that should be opening up soon, and we got to go and do some cleaning at that church.  We cleaned about 400 chairs.  I love the feeling of doing service.  It kind of clears my mind, that and cleaning.  I just wish all of the elders felt the same way that I do... I am doing great though here on my mission. I love my companion and the wonderful opportunity that I have to serve my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  I love you all so much!

Elder Herrin






Tamatave........Thats a bunch of coconuts being sold right there. 

My sunburned/blistered feet

A selfie to make fun of Brock and all of his American Seflies

No comments:

Post a Comment