Monday, April 20, 2015

The Calypso

Dear Family,

Oh, how happy I am to write yet another email to you.  I hope that I dont bore you with my adventures here in Madagascar.  I hear that you are happy and healthy, for the most part, and that you are creeping up on another fun filled summer!  Dont forget to smile through it all.

So, I know that I just emailed on Wednesdayso it might be a shorter email today because we only just had a couple of days to tell about.

Elder Bowler and I planned out a great Zone Meeting for Thursday morning.  It went so so great.  We had so many things to talk about from our meeting in Tana, and we really focused on the "converting ourselves" aspect of it.  We had a lot of really good things come from it.  The work is still going quite well.  I have the coolest story for you guys.

So, earlier last week, we taught this young married couple (not sure if I have mentioned them before) named Lary and Jantal.  They are way cute (as most young married couples are) and have let us teach them for quite some time.  Earlier last week, we came across a scripture that talked about fasting, and they had some questions about it.  Jantal (the wife) was especially interested with many questions.  Elder Bowler, helped her understand that fasting and prayer can help us recieve answers to prayers and can help us have a more meaningful experience.   On Friday, I was on a split with Elder Razafindretsetra.  It was so fun to be with him and work with a native.  We went and taught Lary and Jantal.  I kind of briefed him before the lesson on who they were and where they were in the lessons.  To be honest, I told him that I still wasnt sure what I wanted to talk about, and that as we talked, we would figure something to teach.  We found out, after starting the lesson, that Jantal fasted!  She had the most awesome experience.  She said that she was trying to get to a building that she had never been to, and then she had some important things to do in the buildingl. Knowing that she had those "important" things to do, she started a fast before she left and when she got home that evening, she told us that she wasnt even hungry.  You could tell that she was touched by the Holy Ghost as she was helped through her day.  After I asked her if she was ready to share her feelings about the teaching of the missionaries.  She told me that she is starting to feel something that she had never felt before.  Such a good feeling for me as a missionary!  Her husband quickly spoke up after this touching, spiritual dialogue and said: "Yaa... I cant do that whole fasting thing, I work hard and I need to eat my rice evferyday!"  Hahahah, oh we had a good laugh. 

Saturday there wasnt much missionary work going on.  We taught english and attended a Branch Presidency meeting.  The head of Seminary and Institute of Mada, La Reunion, and Mauritius.  He was there to talk about the Seminary for our Branches.  After the meeting he took all of the Branch Presidents to dinner.... and Elder Bowler and Herrin!  We went to the Calypso!  It is one of, if not the nicest hotel in all of Madagascar.  I had a 3 course meal.  I had a waiter.  I had a napkin.  I had a comfy chair.  I had clean everything.  It was like being back in America.  The thing was... we didnt get back to the house till 10:15.  Ohh thats against the rules, but since we were with the District President... we figured it was ok. 

I am so grateful to be serving. I love my mission.  I love being a missionary!

All my Love

Elder Herrin


Me doodling on my hand, thinking of what Mada needs.

The Calypso-1

The Calypso-2

No comments:

Post a Comment