Monday, September 14, 2015

Quick Story

Dear Family,

How are we all doin this week.  I sure hope that things are well.  I pray for you every week.  I pray for your health and for your spiritual progression.  I know that those two things are really important.  I love the scripture 2 Nef 9:39.  Read it.

I dont have a lot of time today. I am in a place called Fianarantsoa with President Foote.  He is doing interviews with all of his missionaries and I have been traveling with him.  I just wanted to share a quick story that just was way cool.

Last Wednesday we were at the office and I get a call from one of the zone leaders saying that he was doing a baptismal interview.  He said that he was interviewing a woman who was asking that I baptize her... I asked who the woman was and they said Hiantra... didnt ring a bell.  She was from Tamatave and appearently elder bowler and I had taught her when I was there.  I told them that of course I would love to do the baptism.  I went home, still not knowing who this woman was.  They gave me some descriptions of her. They said she was a gma that had three teeth and they were as sharp as a saber tooth... yaa still had nothing come to mind.  I went through my journal and even through my old planners but still could not find anything out about his woman.

Come Friday evening and we are planning this big trip to go down to Antsirabe then Ambositra, then to Fianarantsoa to do interviews.  I spaced the baptism but luckily President reminded me that I had to be in Ambohimanarana at 2 for it.  We were scheduled to leave at like 3... I almost canceled and just said for one of the others to dunk her... I decided to make it work.

We got there Saturday afternoon to the beautiful new chapel that was opened a couple months ago.  It could be an american building, thats how nice it is.  It even has a built in font.  Yaa, thats right.  So I am waiting and waiting to "meet" the woman I would be baptizing.  She shows up and immediately it clicks. 

In Tamatave there was this family that we were teaching.  They were progressing really well.  They were the people that understood if our message was true, then there was only one true church on the earth.  They just werent ready to accept it.  They had a mother who lived with them (Hiantra).  She was the old woman that talks your ear off and says all this stuff, but you never really pay any attention too.  Thats how I felt in Tamatave and boy do I regret that. Hiantra would sit in on the lessons every now and then, but she wasnt progressing as well as her daughter. 

Any way, she walks in and sees me and starts to tell me her life story.  How she moved to tana and wanted to continue learning like she did from herrin and bowler.  She found johnson and covey and has been converted ever since.  It was one of the coolest things baptizing her.  Right before I left, she gave me the number of her daughter who I was teaching.  She wants her family to be just as happy as she is.  And she trusts me to try and make that happen.  This gospel is amazing. 

I know that what I am doing is what God wants me to do.  I am so darn happy doing this work.  Thank you for all the help and prayers that you send my way.  I love you.  I love being a missionary!

All my Love

Elder Herrin

This is Hiantra

No comments:

Post a Comment