Monday, July 20, 2015

That Transfer went Quick

Dear Family,

How are we all doing this week?  From what I read in your email, it looks like things are going well.  Summer seems to be treating you all very well.  As long as you are all happy and healthy.  I pray for you each and every day.  I hope you know that.  My week was just amazing, as if all the other weeks were not. 
This week, the work went so well.  For our companionship study this week, we decided to study about fasting.  We read in Isaiah 58.  So much that I didnt understand, but thats when a companion like Elder Obioma comes in handy.  I also was in the process of  making a test during studies, but I will get to that later.  Studies were just great this week.

As for the actual proselyting part of things, just the best.  We taught a total of 33 times, but that means nothing to me.  We could have taught one time, and as long as that time helped someone, then it was a successful week.  But we had some of the most amazing times this week.  I must share one of those experiences. 

On Saturday night we went to teach Michel and Tina.  I think that I have talked about them before.  But we went and we had planned to talk about baptism, the 1st ordinace of the gospel.  When we invited them to be baptized earlier, they hesitated, but after some thought, accepted.  We went in wanting to really explain the "why" of needing to be baptized.  We read in FF 20 about the correct way to be baptized.  We shared the baptismal covenant.  And they just asked great questions.  "What about baptism for small children?"  We turned to Moronia and read in ch. 8 and we shared examples that just made sense to them.  The coolest thing happened as we were about to leave.  Michel (the father) said that he wanted to share testimony that he knew that the gospel that we were sharing and teaching was true.  He told us that he has seen a change in his life, and in the life of his family.  His wife then cut in and told us what she was feeling through story.  She told us that when Sundays rolled around the two of them used to fight cause he was catholic and she was Lutheran.  Nothing ever got done she said.  Then she said that they fight no more and she knew that it was because of the teaching that we brought to her family.  I mean, you should be crying as you read this.  It was just amazing.  The spirit was so strong.  They gave us a bowl of rice to share after the prayer (of what little they had).  Just amazing.  Times like that make the work of the Lord worth the 2 years. 

Immediately after that time, we went to a members house who had a daughter that was recently baptized.  Last week I gave them some homework to read (alma 17-19) and said that there would be a test.  Sort of joking around as I said that, the 4 girls started jumping for joy when I said that.  So, I spent all week making a test for them.  None of them passed.  It was so funny to watch the mother try and take the test without looking back to the scriptures for help.  It was really fun.  Next week it is articles of faith that they all need to know. 

I am so so so grateful to be serving here.  I love this area and I love the companion that I am serving along side.  I know that this is the work of the Lord and that his gospel can bless us all.  I love you all.  I love being a missionary!

Elder Herrin

Pictures next week!  My comp messed up, forgive him!

No comments:

Post a Comment