Monday, September 1, 2014

This is Harder Than I Thought

Dear Family,

How is everyone doing this week?  I hope that all is well and that you are all healthy and happy!  Never a better day to smile than today!  So, this week was probably one of the hardest weeks of my mission by far... my comp is just a wonderful man that drives me insane.  So first I will just tell you about the work this week.  It went so great, like literally, small miracles everyday through contacting, teaching, and just being willing to sacrifice everything we have as missionaries makes all the difference.  Tuesday and Wednesday were just full of contacting and looking for new people to teach, new people that are READY to hear our message.  Hopefully they all work out.  Since my companion is a native, he likes to be in command thinking that he can do and say better than I can. True.  Still bugs me a tad.  Anyway, Thursday and Friday we got to teach a lot more and I got to see what kind of teacher Raza was.  (Raza is what I call him...) He is a  very in your face, preach preach preach, kind of teacher.  He would make a great pastor or preacher.  He is VERY knowlegdable about the gospel and can answer any question that comes his way.  Saturday was good too, we taught, I taught english... Funny story about that.  One question that was brought up in english class was, and I quote... "What does, 'lets f*** around mean' because my friend said it was slang in english..." Oh, havent heard that word in like, six months.  That was where I just said, ok next question.  Hahah.  Anyway, Sunday we had nine app. scheduled and got to teach 6 of them. Great day, lots of teaching and new investigators.  Okk, so now I am not going to complain, or tell you how much my companion bugs me, I am simply going to give you a couple of my experiences from this week.  So, during one of our lessons this week, we planned that we would teach this family from the very beginning as it was their first lesson with the missionaries.  So that meant ask questions like who is God, and who is Jesus Christ... my comp started teaching about Joseph Smith... Not exactly the stuff we planned that morning.  After he taught about J-dog, he was like, so do you have anything else to add to that... So I tried to get it back on track by asking some of the simple questions, and in the middle of them answering questions, he started to teach about the Great Apostasy... AHHHH!  That night, I tried to give him some tips and tell him that you should teach in order the way the pamphlet has it lined out. Before I could get through that sentence, he said "I understand, I understand, I understand" and left the room... I just keep telling myself how great the work is going.  So, I found that after he showers, he uses my towel... thats a big no no in my book.  He actually spends a longer time in the bathroom that I do, believe it or not.  We are always running late because he irons his shirt for 20 min.  And shines his shoes everyday, and just likes to look at himself.  Thats cool with me, I look at myself too, but longer than a minute is just a little obsessive.  My companion is awesome, do not get me wrong, he just doesnt respect me yet because he thinks I dont understand his language.  True, to an extent.  I was talking with Elder Davis about this matter and his solution to that problem was... In a scottish accent "Just pin the lad against the wall and give him a couple right hooks, then look him the eyes and sing, 'R-E-S-P-E-C-T, find out what it means to YOU" Hahahahah, I love that elder!  I am learning to love, thats forsure.  I am grateful for him, and the many trials that he brings to my life, just love it.  I love you all so much, thanks for your prayers and love. 

All my Love

Elder Herrin

No comments:

Post a Comment